Main content of the website

Land Development

Buy a Developed LotWillow Acres Residential Infill Project.
Click here to Download the Willow Acres Residential Infill Project Map.

You can buy developed lots from Yukon government for:

  • single-family residences;
  • multi-family residences;
  • commercial use; or
  • industrial use.

When Yukon government develops new lots, they offer them through a land lottery or tender. Any remaining lots after the lottery and tender processes are offered over the counter. Over-the-counter lots are sold on a 1st-come, 1st-serve basis. 

Yukon government is currently working on the Willow Acres Residential Infill Project which will see over 40 new lots developed behind Spruce Street. Development will commence in the summer of 2024, and be completed in the summer of 2025.  

Click here to Download the Willow Acres Residential Infill Project Map.

Click here to learn more about the Willow Acres Residential Infill Project on YESAB.

Apply for a Development Permit

If you plan to:

  • add a building to your property,
  • change the use of a building 
  • change the exterior size or height of existing buildings or structures attached to them

You will need to apply for a development permit from the Village of Haines Junction. A development permit gives you permission to develop property according to standards, regulations and land-use goals. This includes residential and commercial use, building setbacks, maximum height, number and minimum or maximum sizes of buildings and parking requirements based on the zoning bylaws.

In applying for a permit, you will need to be familiar with the Haines Junction Zoning Bylaw.

Please note that we are currently reviewing this bylaw.  The Draft Updated Zoning Bylaw that has gone out for consultation is available here. We hope to have the Bylaw updated in 2024.

Apply for a Variance under the Village of Haines Junction Zoning Bylaw

Any person who is aggrieved by a decision made under the Zoning Bylaw, may appeal in writing within thirty (30) days of the decision, to the Board of Variance.   An appeal may be made to the Board of Variance when:

  • An application for a development permit has been refused
  • A development permit is issued subject to condition

 Within 30 days of receipt of a Notice of Appeal, the Board of Variance will hold a public hearing regarding the appeal.  The Board will give its decision in writing, together with reasons for the decision, within fifteen (15) days of the conclusion of the Public Hearing.  

A person may appeal a decision of the Board of Variance to Council.

Apply to Change Zoning (Amend the Zoning Bylaw)

Applications may be made to amend the Zoning map to change the zone governing any land within the Village of Haines Junction.  If you plan to apply for an amendment, please note:

 Applications must be accompanied by

Upon receipt of an application to amend the bylaw, a Board of Variance will be convened to:

  • Carry out an analysis of the potential impacts of the proposed amendment
  • Prepare an administrative report on the proposed amendment along with a recommendation
  • Submit a copy of the report to Council.

 Upon receipt of the report from the Board of Variance, Council will:

  • Review the report from the Board of Variance
  • Advise the applicant in writing within 10 days from the date of the Council meeting where the application was examined

Apply for a Building Permit

If you plan to:

  • Demolish, move or build  a structure
  • Renovate or carry out structural changes or upgrades
  • Install or replace heating equipment 
  • Change the use of a building
  • Create multiple dwelling units or a secondary residential suite

You will need to apply for a building permit from the Government of Yukon.