Village of Haines Junction
Public Works Utility Maintenance Operator 2
Haines Junction lies on the edge the vast and spectacular wilderness of Kluane National Park including the largest internationally protected area on earth and the planet’s largest non-polar ice fields. It is a community that offers a high quality of living with unparalleled recreational opportunities for the outdoor enthusiast. Located in the southwestern corner of the Yukon Territory, approximately 160 kilometers from Yukon’s capital city Whitehorse, Haines Junction and the surrounding area is home to roughly 900 residents and we are looking for one more.
The Village of Haines Junction invites applications for the permanent full time position of Public Works Utility Maintenance Operator 2. We offer a competitive benefits package and a positive and highly diverse working environment. This is a bargaining unit position within the local of Y042 (Yukon Employees union)
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Testing and calibrating; water, wastewater, instruments and controls for compliance and operation
- Monitoring the performance and control of water and wastewater systems.
- Operate, service and inspect plant equipment, pumps, lift stations, hydrants, and associated infrastructure.
- Operate maintenance tools and Heavy equipment including backhoe, excavator, wheel loader, dump truck, sewer flusher and snow removal equipment
- Perform preventative maintenance and ensure maintenance and plant records are accurate and up to date.
- Develop and follow standard operating procedures for plant equipment and instrumentation.
- Assist in routine and emergency repairs to water and wastewater distribution systems.
- Complete water system certification training and continuing education requirements.
- Will participate in rotational after hours and weekend on call/standby/overtime
- Other duties may be assigned as required.
- Grade 12 or equivalent (G.E.D.)
- Experience in municipal water utility or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Valid class 3 Yukon Motor Vehicle Operators Licence or equivalent. Must be able to provide driver’s abstract.
- Certification in Water Treatment from EOCP or equivalent.
- Ability to understand and operate SCADA systems
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively use computer applications related to the position and duties.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a desire to work in a team environment.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work alone under minimal supervision.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Ability to respond to concerns in a timely, solutions-focused manner.
- Ability to set priorities.
- Ability to communicate effectively using courtesy, positivity, tact, and discretion in dealing with
requests, complaints, or concerns.
- Ability to work outside in various weather conditions.
- Ability to perform basic math calculations.
- Physical ability to undertake the duties of the role with handling objects up to 30kgs required routinely
- Ability to represent the Municipal Public Works in a professional, competent manner
- Completion of recognized water and wastewater program, considered an asset.
- Certification Level two or higher qualification in water distribution, wastewater collection and wastewater treatment considered an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of the operation, maintenance, and construction of water distribution systems.
- Thorough knowledge of the operation, maintenance, and construction of sewage collection systems.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Skilled trades experience and proven ability to troubleshoot considered a strong asset.
- Intermediate knowledge of water and wastewater systems.
- Sound knowledge and the ability to follow health and safety rules and regulations.
- Good public relations skills to communicate internally and externally.
- Good mechanical aptitude.
- Training in confined space entrant/attendant, WHIMIS, TDG, Aerial platform, safety in bear country, fire extinguisher, fall protection, lock out/tag out and traffic control considered an asset.
The starting wage for this position will be $34.83 – $38.20 per hour, depending upon experience and certifications.
Please submit a cover letter, resumes and enquiries to:
Jerry Tracey Public Works Manager
Village of Haines Junction
Box 5339 Haines Junction, Yukon, Y0B 1L0
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
This position will close when a suitable candidate is found